Friday 17 January 2014

Irish Stew

Yesterday I was rummaging through a drawer in the Belmont kitchen when I came across an old cookery-book.

This booklet is tiny, pocket-size, in fact.

It contains a traditional recipe for Irish Stew, which I'll share with readers.

There is a veritable multitude of variations for Irish stew, depending on what was handed down by ancestors; however, the simmering of the lamb or mutton arouses my curiosity. Would this produce exceptionally tender meat?

I have yet to attempt this recipe myself.

If you are inclined to try this recipe, please do send comments.

  • 1 lb lean mutton pieces
  • 1 lb onions
  • 1 lb carrots
  • 1 lb potatoes
  • salt  & pepper
  • pinch of thyme

METHOD

  1. Place mutton with thyme in pot and add cold water to cover.
  2. Bring slowly to the boil and simmer for one hour.
  3. Add vegetables, all peeled and roughly chopped.
  4. Season.
  5. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
  6. Adjust seasoning.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I would have thought it would be better to briefly brown off the meat, rather than slowly bring them up the boil? And the cooking time seems relatively short, especially if you are using cheaper (i.e. tougher) cuts of meat. But the proof of the stew is in the eating!
J

Timothy Belmont said...

I'll report back with the result, hopefully next week.

I'm using lamb instead of mutton.

I bought ¾lb from a local butcher, which cost over a fiver.