Wednesday 11 August 2010

Idyllic Crom


I drove to Crom Estate, County Fermanagh, this afternoon via Lisnaskea. It was fine and mostly sunny. I parked at the old farmyard, which has been converted inot lovely apartments. It's beside the lough, where there is a large jetty.

I walked along a path to Old Crom Castle; and continued to the aesthetically handsome boat-house, where I spotted Lord Erne's car: He was down at the water's edge with his sister, the youthful Lady Rosanagh. They were preparing to go for a trip on their boat and we exchanged a few words. When I mentioned Crom Castle's former house-keeper, Mrs Johnston, and an amusing incident some twenty-two years ago when I was staying on the Estate, Lady Rosanagh asked me if I'd had my tea-leaves read by Mrs J!

Later in the afternoon I enjoyed cottage pie and salad at the National Trust tea-room.



I stopped in the centre of Lisnaskea on the way home and photographed the old Corn and Potato Market, the ancient Market Cross taking pride of place in the centre. The Market was erected by the 3rd Earl of Erne. Click to enlarge.

No comments :