Sunday 23 May 2010

Seaport Walk


It has proved practically impossible to get an Internet connection in Portballintrae, which seems to be "wi-fi unfriendly" or backwards in that sense! The only place where I can get a connection is in the Bayview Hotel, where I sit presently sipping a small shandy. I drove round the village and down several avenues to no avail. Have none of the residents got BT Broadband, Openzone or signed up to BT Fon, the online community with free wi-fi?

I went for a walk after breakfast this morning, towards Seaport Lodge. The builders have been working on the house for a few years, as can be seen by the girders skewering through it.



Continuing down to the shore, I walked back past the sand martin colony at the cliff. Had I equipment like Craig’s, it would have been easy to take a snap of these fine little birds flying in and out of their holes in the cliff-side. Instead I have a modest Canon Powershot A480.


I am minded to drive into Coleraine, County Londonderry, later.

Later we drove over the bridge at the River Bann and headed towards Downhill demesne. It's ages since I last was here and the weather is so fine today. I walked through the walled garden, past the dovecote and across the field to Mussenden Temple; then inland to the ruin of the Earl-Bishop's once-great palace, now bereft of its treasures, masterpieces and statuary.


I have bought a "shortie" wetsuit! I found one in Sainsbury's at Coleraine. It fits perfectly. The only trouble is that the sea is still freezing! Even with a wetsuit.

5 comments :

Gerry Snape said...

I like your style Lord Belmont, and is it still leafy?

Timothy Belmont said...

Wonderfully leafy. Many thanks for the kind words and welcome!

Tim

Stephen said...

This house was owned by Stewart Moore, who was the CEO of Gallahers tobacco in the 70s/80s

Timothy Belmont said...

And now the owner is Seymour Sweeney, Esq.

I believe the Sweeneys lived at Seaport till they moved to their present residence beside Runkerry.

Anonymous said...

Yes, he lived at Seaport and is now in the process of turning it into apartments. Why anyone would want an apartment in a modest house is beyond me!