Saturday 26 December 2009

The Definitive Holmes?


It's a wonder I don't own the Sherlock Holmes box-set collection. I do have about three videos; no DVDs, though.

I suppose whomsoever one considers to be the definitive Sherlock Holmes actor is entirely subjective, as is the case with the James Bond characters.

For me, the ultimate Sherlock Holmes portrayal has been - and will probably remain - the late Jeremy Brett.

Jeremy Brett (3 November 1933 – 12 September 1995), was born Peter Jeremy William Huggins.

Brett was born at Berkswell Grange in Berkswell on 3 November 1933; son of a Lord-Lieutenant of Warwickshire and an heir of the Cadbury Chocolate family. He was educated at Eton.

Perhaps I am biased, for I've seen photographs of the latest version of our great detective played by Robert Downey. How does Downey portray Sherlock Holmes? Should I even bother going to see the movie?

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I didn't realise he was related to the Cadburys; do you know the Dicksons of Milltown, Dungannon? Rosemary D's mother, Marion, was a Cadbury, she sat as a Stormont Senator.

Brett seems to be the be most strongly associated with Holmes' screen portrayals.

Timothy Belmont said...

Wasn't aware of the Cadbury-Dickson connexion.

Looks as if Cadbury could be swallowed up by another giant conglomerate, like Kraft.

Tim