Friday 5 June 2009

Battered Scampi

I have a confession: I crave battered scampi. Not the run-of-the-mill breaded or battered stuff obtainable from supermarkets; nor the banal, so-called "scampi" featuring on menus in certain restaurants.

No, I refer to real scampi, otherwise known as langoustines or Dublin Bay prawns. I prefer it lightly battered and served with real French-fried potatoes which are crisp and dry on the exterior; and lightly fluffy on the interior. A garnish of lettuce, tomato and garden peas would also suffice. Sauce Tartare is essential for me, too; I can take it by the barrel-load.

I am making a call, indeed a plea, from the wilderness here: does anyone know of an establishment in Northern Ireland which serves genuine, freshly-battered langoustines as described above? If so, please do let me know.

Undoubtedly there are establishments in the Metropolis - you know, in Mayfair or St James's - which come up to the mark. Opulent, smart, carpeted, wood-panelled restaurants with a reverential ambiance; not necessarily fish restaurants, though ones which cater for and are attuned to the traditional British palate. Northern Ireland is bereft of such grill-rooms and brasseries, is it not?

Addendum: The Lobster Pot restaurant in Strangford served truly delicious scampi and chips thirty years ago; as did the Saltwater Brig bar near Kircubbin in County Down.

3 comments :

stu said...

Sounds delicous! Not sure if they have this particular dish on the menu, but Mourne Seafood Bar is wonderful. But then you were there recently I seem to recall...so perhaps not?

belfast cabby said...

Tim your best bet is saltwater brig just outside portaferry, In a former life i fixed fruit machines for a living including the brigs they used to get there seafood straight from the boats that morning. it was always v v good although its been a few years since i have been so i cant confirm if there still as good.

Timothy Belmont said...

Many thanks for that, Stu. I didn't notice it on their menu the day I visited; perhaps another time.

Ahhhh, Saltwater Brig! We used to have snacks there a lot, just before it changed hands half a dozen years ago. Spot on, Belfast Cabby: guess what I ordered and how much I relished it? Correct! I wonder if their standards are still the same...

Tim