Thursday 28 May 2009

Puncture Kit

I darted into Belfast this morning to buy a Tyre Puncture Repair Kit for the baby two-seater. It doesn't have a spare wheel so, although there is a breakdown recovery service included, I'm taking no chances; quite often I drive without my mobile phone.

I considered the repair kit good value at £9.79.

I phoned my insurer yesterday in order to transfer the motor insurance details and request a new certificate. They apprised me that it would be sent first class and I thought I'd receive the blasted thing today. No joy.

The car dealer also phoned to inform me that an accessory I'd ordered for the new car, the Chrome Pack, had not arrived yet. What a blasted nuisance - they've had almost three months to obtain it, haven't they?

There really is no rush; I may phone the dealer in the morning and tell them I'll take delivery of the new car next week; especially if the weather is good and we motor up to the Causeway Coast for the weekend. I'd hoped to reclaim four months' car tax; however, that puts a spanner in the works. The car tax works out at roughly £20 per month, so I'll be able to claim for only three months - they operate on whole months and we're into the month of June next week.

The dealer proposed that I take delivery of the new car; and, when the Chrome Pack arrives, revisit them to have the parts fitted. Any thoughts on that?

4 comments :

PeterC said...

I am surprised that you want a chrome kit - many manufacturers (such as BMW) offer an option to remove the chrome! But retro-fitting shouldn't be a problem, as long as it doesn't impact on the basic structure of the car.

And beware of puncture repair kits - you could find that tyre repairers refuse to repair a punctured tyre if it is full of the repair kit goo. You might have to buy a new tyre instead.

Timothy Belmont said...

I like chrome! The Rover had loads of it: all handles, boot lid, bonnet grille, window surrounds, a strip along the sides...
The Smart pack merely comprises grille, mirrors and rear trim om boot-lid.
The Smart has no spare wheel, so the kilt I bought is just a safety-net precaution.

Leslie said...

If I were you I'd refuse delivery until the kit is fitted; more of an incentive for the dealership to chivvy things along! Once you drive off with the car they'll be less inclined to expedite matters. Whilst the car's sitting on their premises it's a constant reminder to them and, assuming you haven't paid for it yet, a reminder that it's costing them money!!

Timothy Belmont said...

That's just what I thought. The snag is that I have arranged with the insurance for the transfer tomorrow at 11am. I should receive a certificate tomorrow.
Otherwise I'd need to phone the insurer and transfer it back to the present car.
I'm inclined to trust Agnew's, if they say the part is ordered; I have already paid for it too.
It has been a dilemma and a confounded nuisance!