Sunday 1 March 2009

RMS Titanic: Its Birth-Place


I've taken a few pictures of the area around the Belfast ship-yard, now known as Titanic Quarter, while I was out for a stroll today.

Two large plaques adorn the walls of the Thompson Graving Dock's pump-house, where Titanic was built.

HMS Caroline, floating headquarters of the Royal Naval Reserve in Northern Ireland, still sits at the Alexandra Dock.

SS Nomadic, erstwhile tender to the Titanic, will eventually be berthed at the Hamilton Graving Dock in the Abercorn Basin.

2 comments :

O'Neill said...

I really hate being negative, but we did the walk about a month back and I've got to concur with my Better Half (from the Mainland...the European one;)) that at the minute it looks like a Poor Man's Detroit Industrial Wastleland Adventure Park . There's a half-hearted attempt setting up a walking tour, but considering the history behind the whole area ,it's pretty pitiful. My father (and grandfather and great-grandfather) all worked in the ship-yard and I (and I'd guess most of E Belfast) personally would have enough stories and anecdotes to keep the tourists entertained for at least a couple of hours- so why on earth are the tourist authorities not tapping into that kind of local knowledge?

Timothy Belmont said...

A lot of it's like a vast wasteland at the moment. I imagine it'll take a decade before it's completely transformed.