Friday 21 November 2008

Fancy A Good Cornish Pasty?

I have always relished Cornish pasties. We holidayed, about twenty-four summers ago, in a tiny hamlet called Ludgvan, near Penzance, and used to visit the pubs in St Austell, Mousehole and other towns where I could indulge my tastes.

More recently, I have sampled pasties from all the usual suspects: Tesco, Ginster, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury. However, I have made a discovery: Sainsbury's sell large, hand-crimped Cornish pasties from behind their meat counter, at about £1.89.

We shared one this evening. It was the best Cornish pasty I have eaten for many years indeed. It's hard to describe its flavour, but I instinctively liked it.

I'll buy several the next time and put them in the freezer.

2 comments :

Cadiz said...

Ecclesia de Ludewon, when we get it back, with the heretics slain, leaving that justified slaughter to one side, freezing pasties! I do doubt the legality and the wisdom of that venture. I'll give the Sainsbury's effort a go at bought temperature

Timothy Belmont said...

They freeze well; you can even heat them directly from frozen! I prefer to thaw them slowly, or overnight. This cost less because it takes less time in the oven.

Tim