Sunday 2 December 2007

Magical Killynether


We all must start somewhere, so I have decided to initiate my own Blog from the Province.
On Saturday morning, I met other like-minded National Trust weekend volunteers at the delightful Killynether Wood, near Scrabo in County Down, for some hazel coppicing. Armed with saws, loppers, gloves and packed lunches we ventured out to the middle of the woods and spent about four or five hours cutting away. It was quite a good turn-out, with about ten of us on this occasion.
My usual packed lunch of Tesco cheese-and-onion sandwiches (great value and VG) with a flask for tea was included.

I decided to indulge in a fish supper that evening, so thought I'd try the Silver Leaf Cafe on the Belmont Road for a change: what a discovery! Quick & friendly service from a very courteous lady at the counter, a fine and chunky piece of cod with crispy batter and home-made chips. I'll definitely be there again (up to now I've been going to Dory's on the Holywood Road, but if the Silver Leaf maintains its standards I'll give them my custom every other Saturday).

It was such a cold, wet evening that, after much deliberating, I decided to drive to the Odyssey to see the much-lauded American Gangster movie: what a great film, worthy of five stars indeed. I was irritated at having to queue for about fifteen minutes at the cinema for my ticket, only to discover that any counter could be used to buy tickets. Consequently, I just managed to make the seven o'clock start. Well worth it. Even better because I was sold a Senior ticket (£4) and I'm under 47! Admittedly I wore my usual traditional classics of Barbour, tweed hat, brolly etc, so the young fellow misjudged the matter to my benefit.

No comments :